Hi, I'm Dad the Bad, aka Graytoppop, a middle-aged, gray-haired father of 6 (thus the Graytoppop) and grandfather of 15 and counting. This is blog private to document my life story.
Friday, May 30, 2008
Brasilians in Mexico
A person from IBM was at our office today. He is from Brasil, and has been working outside of Brasil since January of this year. He is learing Spanish quickly. Given my experience of learning Spanish, based on knowing Portuguese, I told him some of the words he should use with caution or avoid in Mexico. Most of these words are very normal for Brasilians. One of them is 'correr' -- to run. The word is the same in Spanish and Portuguese, but the Brasilians say it like Mexicans would say 'coger' (or for gringos, 'coher'). The word means to get or to grab in every Spanish speaking country in Latin America except Mexico, where it is used as the 'F' verb. So the Brasilian says, 'Now I understand why the concierge seemed offended last night when I asked her where I could go run.'
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
lol. that's dirty.
No, that's just what happens when you travel and learn new languages.
I've told that one to all my friends. they think you're funny.
wow!!! someone thinks i'm funny....
Post a Comment