Sunday, November 28, 2010

Red and Blue

I saw a lot of chatter on Facebook about yesterday's Uah - BYU football game.  I admit, I graduated from BYU, but I also attended the U for a year.  I also admit that, when I do see The Game, I want BYU to win.  But I left Utah in 1979, and since then, the importance or passion or whatever you want to call it of the rivalry has faded for me.  I think I have only seen 2 installments of The Game since then.  And one of them, I just happend to 'stumble upon' while we lived in San Antonio.  But just to show that The Game is more than a local passion, and that I don't bleed Cougar Blue, here is a true story from Katy, Texas.

About 20 years ago, on Sunday after The Game, at the beginning of Sunday School class, someone mentioned that BYU had defeated Utah, again.  To which someone else in the class (and I think it was Dave Swope, a real Red-blooded Ute) responded with something like "That's OK.  We're still waiting for a BYU grad to be President of the Church".  And 20  years later, we are still waiting.....

2 comments:

BRANDON said...

Too bad he was wrong

Ezra Taft Benson was a BYU grad in 1926

George Albert Smith was a grad of both BYU and UofU predecessors (Brigham Young Academy-1884 and University of Desseret-1888 respectively)

Graytoppop said...

Harper -- you are right. Discounting George Albert Smith, since he would count for both, the score is 4 for the U of U, 1 for BYU, based on what I find on LDS.org and wikipedia....