Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Texas and Texans

A few days ago, my sister, who does not live in Texas, asked me these questions:

How is it that the Texans are such a City on a hill so to speak? They are proud to live in Texas, call Texas home, be a Texan. What is it about them that makes that so?

John Steinbeck said this about Texas:

Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word.

General George Patton had this to say about Texans:

Give me an army of West Point Graduates, and I'll win the battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.

(Please note, I'm a Longhorn fan, not an Aggie. But this is about Texas, not the rivalry between the two largest universities in the state,)

All Texans, add your comments! I'll make sure my sister sees the results.

8 comments:

bethy said...

as i said in my email, you have to live here to understand

Ashley Erin said...

and if you move to california, you will understand even more, and cry everyday of your life and then you will start repeating "there's no place like home, there's no place like home" and wish for nothing but to be in the hot texas sun eating REAL bbq. sigh.

Bexie Funk said...

its true you just have to live here. that being said i'm leaving but it'll always be my home.

Lindsey said...

In my opinion there is nothing like the hill country. It's so green, has beautiful rivers, and great barbecue. I miss it.

Bioneer: Tony C. Saladino said...

I have been to Texas. It may be wonderful for those who live there, but I'm partial to Wisconsin and love it as deeply as any Texan loves their state.
A friend has a t-shirt that says it all. There is a black silhouette of Texas on a black shirt. Completely surrounding it is a white silhouette of Alaska. Large type on the back says:"Size really does matter."
I must admit that Texas had, by far, the best chilie rellenos I have ever had, but I had to make my way all the way to the Western Edge of the state to find them. El Paso was one of the highlights of my travels there.

rmreed said...

Gary P Nunn says it best in this song.

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Gary+P.+Nunn:What+I+Like+About+Texas:1210235:s39859308.10706981.18773483.0.2.117%2Cstd_d4766259cea44278a5302aeb3ebbca7f

Anonymous said...

成功可招引朋友,挫敗可考驗朋友 ............................................................

asda said...

好文,領受了!謝謝!..................................................