Sunday, September 21, 2008

If It Looks Too Good to Be True.....

MTB and I went to Costa Rica this week. This was not a vacation. I had been invited there by a business associate. He knows that the company I work for in Mexico is for sale. He operates a similar company in Costa Rica, and wants to begin operating in Mexico. I thought he was interested in buying the company. He probably thought I was worried about losing my job.

He is a very bright person, and he really picks up on what is important to the people he wants to influence. So as the conversation progresses, I begin to think he and I share many of the same personal values. But when he offered me a lot of money to leave the company in Mexico and help him start a new business in Mexico, I became a bit suspicious that maybe we didn't share the same values. By the time we finished the two days with him, MTB and I concluded that what is true with investing is also true with humans: If it looks too good to be true, it probably is...........

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

You should look at mom's blog. Apparently she wasn't too upset about it being "too good to be true," she just liked the "free lunch."

Bexie Funk said...

mom told me about the guy he sounded a little weird.