Sunday, April 20, 2008

Think About the Good We Can Do

For a number of years, I have observed parents fretting about the bad influence others may have on their (the parents') children. And based on this, they do things like home schooling, or move to a 'better' church unit (or just change churches). It seems to me there is a better answer.

In the final analysis, children will be on their own at sometime. They need to learn to live in this world, and not be protected from it. So instead of fretting about the negative influence of others, and sending a message to the children that they are weak or incapable, why don't we think about the good influence our children can have on others? This also sends a message to the children that they are strong and capable.

What do you think???

3 comments:

Bexie Funk said...

I don't like it when people are scared of the world, you can't protect your kids from everything. There are plenty of great things out there.

Ashley Erin said...

Amen to that dad the bad.

TRS said...

I don't know you.. but I agree.

A woman I used to work with made a comment about how she couldn't/wouldn't live in a certain neighborhood (the one with great older homes - she'd rather sacrifice living in a bland/McBuilder community than have a home with character)
because the surrounding neighborhood resulted in the school having low test scores and such.

My thought is... if more people with brains would stick their necks out... maybe the poor schools could do better.
It's like... well - that school sucks - stay away - it's good enough for THOSE kids, but not good enough for MINE.

Sigh.